Sunday, October 30, 2016

Yukyung Bang/Sixth Post/Narrative Composition Tuesday 9-11 a.m.

201301511 Yukyung Bang

4.2

I sat down on a chair. As soon as I closed my eyes, I felt how hard the chair on which I sat was. I adjusted myself and closed my eyes again. First, I smelled caramel from the bucket in my hands, which were full of freshly popped caramel-coated popcorn. There was a smell of grilled squid with butter coming from the snack bar, too. My mouth began to water and I found myself hard to focus on any other senses. And as there were too many people, I only heard the hum of many voices that I couldn't understand and footsteps at first. But after a while, they became white noise, and I heard the sound from speakers. They were lines and narrations of the previews for upcoming movies. It was when I wanted to open my eyes the most. Then, I heard someone sitting right next to me and I jumped a little. I heard the usual noise that I had heard before whenever I had tried to push a straw through a plastic lid. I heard the noise twice, so I guessed that the person who sat next to me was with someone else. It made me a little thirsty, so I drank my coke. And I felt familiar, but weird feeling on my tongue. It was hard to decide if it was a feeling or a taste. It tasted sweet, but the feeling of a weak twinge was bigger. But it went away quickly, and there remained only sweetness of coke. And then, I put a piece of popcorn into my mouth. I chewed it slowly and somehow it felt like a crunchy sound went from my teeth up to my ears. It was weird to hear the noise from inside of my mouth, not from outside. But it was delicious as always, sweet and salty at the same time.

 

4.4

I opened the heavy door and a huge cross on which Jesus was crucified was hung on the opposite wall. The ceiling was very high and the aisle to the alter was narrow and quite long. Even at midday, the inside of cathedral was dark because of stained glass windows. Only the candles lit the place with a soft glow. Since those white candles were always lit, the smell of burning candles filled the air. As I stepped towards the altar, the smell of the wooden benches became stronger and stronger. When it was not time for a mass, there were only few people praying. They would read a prayer or sing hymns even though there was no instrumental accompaniment. Those soft sounds got magnified and echoed by the high ceiling. The wooden bench was a little cold, but it got warm soon after I sat down at the end of it. It had a round armrest that I enjoyed to feel. I liked to visit the cathedral when it was not time for mass, because it felt bigger, quieter, more solemn, and more peaceful.

2 comments:

  1. 4.4
    It's interesting to hear that you like to visit cathedral. For me although I go to church, sometimes when I go to cathedral it makes feel intimidated and little bit frightened due to the quiet atmosphere inside the cathedral. Just like how you described the cathedral with stained glass windows and the echos, those are the things make me feel little intimidated. One thing I want to ask is about the scent. Do you like the scent of burning candles or wooden benches? Is that why you mention it? Or did you mention them because you didn't like them? For me, I usually mention the scent when I like it.

    201400916 KIM HYUN JEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4.2
    What you did hear was a great job. You weren't telling me, but rather showing me by painting a scenario that is too familiar for me. If i closed my eyes right now after reading your writing, I would be able to put myself in that scene because your descriptions are very vivid and it allows me to remember some of my own memories. I think maybe some adjectives could be replaced to make the description more clear. For instance, the white noise part is a little bit ambiguous and maybe clearing that up for the reader would be helpful. Also, you must've been at a really uncomfortable movie theatre if the seats were hard!!!! I am sorry to hear that. I would've been upset. Anyways great job on your descriptions.

    201203937 Kim Young Woo

    ReplyDelete