Sunday, October 30, 2016

Yousun Jung/Task 4.2&4.4/Tues 9-11am

Task 4.2

Go to the subway station named Chongshin Univ. also known as Isu, then take exit 11. There is a small theater named Artnine by Megabox. Megabox is one of the biggest theater franchises in Korea, but they have a small theater for movie lovers. You can watch good movies that take a backseat to large-scale movies. Also, you can enjoy a meal or a drink as you wait for your movie, because there is a restaurant beside the theater.

I take a seat there with a cup of café latte. I close my eyes holding the cup. The cup is so warm that it even makes my heart relieved and comfortable. I can feel the aroma of coffee. When I drink it, the taste of soft milk makes me happy. I hear people talking. A man and a woman who seem like lovers are talking about what they expect from the movie which they are going to watch soon. I also hear what workers talk: "Do I have to make tea first?" "No, café latte first." "The movie is going to start, soon. You go there and check tickets." "Alright."

It is 2:40 and a movie named Things To Come is just finished. I hear footsteps of people coming out of the theater. They talk about the movie they watched, other movies they want to watch, brochures, tickets, toilet, etc. Soon, I hear one of the workers. "Those who came to watch A Bride for Rip Van Winkle, now you can come inside." I open my eyes and follow what I heard.

 

Task 4.4

Nobody told me that I had to be quiet, but I tried to be as quiet as I could. I tied up my hair and wore pink gown. There were five or six women including me, and everyone had same hairstyle and same gown. One of the staffs divided us into different room, and I went inside following her.

What I saw first was more than 20 bassinets. Then I felt sweet smell of babies. It was quite silent until one of the babies woke up. In other words, we started to be busier since then. The room was full of babies' babbling and crying. Women said nothing but soothed them and fed them.

Babies in that room were infants who were around 15-month-old or 18-month-old. They needed help absolutely, but they were the oldest babies in that center. Therefore, only feeding and putting them down was not enough for them. That's why that room was full of shiny colorful things—red swings, blue and yellow Bumbo chairs, rainbow-color toys and animal dolls for infants.

I played with one of the babies using those toys. She didn't let me go far away from her. She wanted me to keep holding her in my arms. I was grabbed by chubby and soft fingers. I couldn't put her down as she always cried aloud whenever I tried. I spent more than an hour holding her and playing with her, and finally I could put her down as she was fed her milk and fell asleep.

After several hours, it was time for me to go home. Closing the door, I looked inside once more. The name cards on bassinets, vivid color of toys, sunshine coming through the window, drawers with Winnie the Pooh stickers, nurses in pink gown who were still busy, babies' babbling, their soft hands, their grabs, and their eyes looking at me but not me, maybe the affection itself. It was sunny day with crystal clear sky, but I felt as if my heart was full of soft, chubby clouds.

That was when I had first thought the adoption would be a good way to be a family. Before, I thought I would never consider adoption as I thought I would not love a baby if I had not gave birth to him or her. But I realized it is more heartbreaking to see a baby deprived from love. I don't mean that I will adopt a baby. I don't have any plan to get married or have babies in a few years for now, and I don't know what would happen in my life. But it was valuable enough to just get to know that adoption is one of the good ways to be family, even though it is not easy.


201003163 Yousun Jung

 

2 comments:

  1. I liked the fact that both of your writings are about some unique experiences that I never had. Also, I think you are very good at delivering the emotion and the atmosphere you felt and experienced. As I reading your writings, it almost felt like I'm on that place.
    To make a few suggestions, I think it would've been better if you added some more details about what you felt with your senses. While I could definitely infer that you had such a great time(in both writings), it was little hard for me to picture the places you were at. Also, about the second writing in particular, I think you should've told what place is the writing about in the earlier section. The uncertainty bothered me a little to concentrate on the writing.

    Moses Choi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The present tense in the Task 4.2 looks impressive. I think it helped for your writing to become more vivid. Additionally, there are senses of touch, sound, smell and taste which enabled me to imagine the atmosphere of the place.
    In the task 4.4, I also think that the exact name of the place should have been mentioned not to make readers confused. However, I liked the place you've introduced and described in that I've not been those kinds of places at all. It was interesting and I could also kind of feel what you've felt as reading.

    201203589 Choi, Won-joon

    ReplyDelete