Sunday, October 9, 2016

KIM HYUN JEE/Task 3.2 (p.74)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

Boss and Mother

 

I was at a café in Gangnam, chilling and drinking bubble tea. It was 3pm on Thursday afternoon, so I was the only customer in the shop. I observed the part time worker there. It was a small café with only five tables, so she was the only worker. She was wearing a white blouse and distressed skinny jeans with her hair tied into a ponytail. By looking at what she's wearing and her makeup, I guessed that she was a college student. She was at the cashier counter, counting coupons and stamps. She didn't look tired, but instead was humming a song that I couldn't quite understand.

 

After organizing, she took her phone out from her pocket and scrolled through her screen. She even took an earphone out and plugged it in. She seemed to be watching a funny video by the looks of her face and her laughter. Once in a while, she looked at the door to see if there were any new customers. About five minutes later, her boss came to the café. She didn't look surprised or worried at all, even though the boss walked in and saw her laughing at a funny video. Instead, she smiled and casually took her earphones out. When the boss came near her, she said "Mom, we only have two bottles of lemonade left". That's when I found out they were mother and daughter. I didn't know they were mom and daughter even though I go to the same café at least once a week. I could than understand why she was so chill, even when her boss came back to the store. Usually in Korea, boss gets mad when their workers look at their phone, even when there are no customers. The two continued on their conversation and maintained happy faces. They looked nothing alike, but when the boss smiled at her daughter, I could see the resemblance between the two. They had the identical smile. It was obvious that the two have great mother-daughter relationship.

 

Word Count: 338



Hyun Jee Kim

2 comments:

  1. I agree about your sentence about boss-employee relation. And I can imagine how it would be and how you would surprised.
    What I liked the most is the part you described the appearance of the daughter. Typical dress among those who work in cafes is well described so it helped me to imagine.
    But I think your title is too direct so it weakens your last paragraph.

    201003163 Yousun Jung

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything was good, it was very easy to read with good flow and structure. You made some minor errors, something you would be able to catch if you read it out loud : putting the articles where it belong. Other than that, it was interesting to read about someone who is working with such a carefree attitude to realise that it was the owner's daughter. I also wrote about my experience at a cafe in Kangnam!! Anyways, I think it wouldn't hurt to maybe add a little more detail about how she acted even with her mother being there! It was a good read! - Kim Young Woo 201203937

    ReplyDelete