Sunday, October 16, 2016

Yousun Jung/Character sketch(5th post)/Tues 9-11 am

Task 3.3
I think the writer used metaphor very effectively. The writer didn't even mention what the man did or said, but this essay clearly gave an image of him. Reading the essay, it just came to my mind as if it was a scene in a movie. It made me imagine raindrop seen through window glass, grey rug, a woman clasping her knees, and jazz music. It even made me feel blue.

 

Task 3.4
My auntie is like a cup of tea in a rainy day.

 

 

<Character Sketch>

Chandarka, A Wall With Door

She was a high wall. She was always holding her toad-like lips tight. She rarely smiled. She didn't talk much, especially with me. I sometimes saw her talking vividly with others and even smiling to them, but never to me. There was no special reason. We had never fought or quarreled. Actually I didn't even have chances to do so.

She talked in her own mother tongue even though she could speak English. What I can say in her mother tongue was just to say hello and ask someone's name. She said her name was Chandarka and I told her my name. It's done in the first week so I had nothing to talk with her anymore. I tried to ask many things, but she just answered me back as briefly as possible. The thing is that I was the one working with her for a full day, even if it was just once a week.

I helped the pharmacy in clinic for HIV/AIDS people those days. I gathered pills reading the prescription or packed pills and syrups. I liked most people I met there, but she was the most difficult. SHE WAS A HIGH WALL. At the end of the month, I started to dislike her. She is working for PLWA, but she is not even kind to people, especially to me!

One day, a woman came into pharmacy out of sudden, and started to cry like a little child. As there were lots of people with sad stories there, it was not strange to see someone crying. But her blubber was really different. She wept as if it was the end of her hope. I could not understand even a word from her, but I also felt like crying only by seeing her. Later, I heard that a woman lost her mom who was the only one with her husband had kicked her out with an excuse of HIV/AIDS. Chandarke didn't say anything but she was just holding her until she calmed down little bit.

To my surprise, Chandarka just hugged her with one arm. Her toad-like lips were still clamped and the way she hugged a woman was not so friendly. I could not see any change in her face but still there was something that I could call kindness. She was not a wall. She was a wall with door. When there was someone in need, she opened her door and let him or her in. I was ashamed of myself for misunderstanding her only because she was not kind enough in a way I preferred.

I could not talk with her much even after that. Even now, I cannot call her a 'friend' of mine. Still, I sometimes think of her wall-like face when she was holding a woman. It seemed like a strong citadel that I felt secure. Yes, she truly was a wall, but with door open.




201003163 Yousun Jung


 

2 comments:

  1. 1.
    - The person in her essay is a reserved one, especially to the writer who is hard to get closed.

    2.
    - She was always holding her toad-like lips tight.
    - She rarely smiled.
    - she just answered me back as briefly as possible.

    3.
    - What the person does
    Chandarka just hugged her with one arm.


    4. X

    5.
    - The person seems to be quite impressive to the writer in both negative and positive way. when you find other person's hidden personality you have not imagined it has strong impact. maybe this impact worked to her.

    6.
    - what other people say about Chandarka? have you ever talked with people about Chandarka?

    Changyu Kang

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. This person is a lady that does not like to show her emotion or have much to say.

    2. There are so many details in your writing that shows this. Your first four sentences supports this in every way.

    3. What the person looks like : You mentioned that she never smiled

    What does the person say : She never says much, except when she introduces her name.

    What the person does : She works at the clinic with you.

    What other people say about the person : X

    4. You can maybe elaborate on what PLWA is.

    5. I think the writer chose this person in particular because, she realised that you cant really judge a book by its cover.

    6. I would like to know how you were able to work in the same place together when she was someone so unresponsive and not an easy place to get along with.

    Kim Young Woo 201203937

    ReplyDelete