Sunday, October 30, 2016

Choi, Won-joon/Task 4.2 & 4.4 (p. 108-109)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

Task 4.2

Ten O'clock in the morning, I felting happiness to finish my presentation in the Culture and Media Translation class and was coming out of the classroom. Since I had an appointment with my friend at eleven, I slowly walked toward the Minerva Square. There, I found something was going wrong. People and cars were crowded, which is really unusual in the place. I made up my mind to guess what was going on in there with my eyes closed. I closed my eyes near wooden benches and concentrated on my senses except sight.

A man's urgent voice was alerting people to get away from the dormitory building through a microphone in a distance. "This is not a drill and everyone get out of the building!" Students were passing by in front of me murmuring, "Is that real? What's happening?" Next to me, the girl with very sleepy tone talked to her friend over her mobile phone. "I don't know… They told me there's something explosive inside the building…" She was so calm and steady with those horrible words that I almost missed the seriousness. However, then, a high pitched sound of the siren waked me up. A car was rushing through the main entrance of HUFS. It stopped nearby me and footsteps got out of it. The footsteps hurried their way toward the dormitory building and as they passed by me, wet and chilly wind sharply touched my face. I felt something was seriously going bad, so opened my eyes and walked away.

 

Task 4.4

This is a street in the countryside near my house where I lived in about four years ago. The narrow sidewalk paved with red blocks is under the gray tone cement bridge. On the bridge, there is a railroad that has been not used for a long period. And on the sidewalk, big pine trees are standing in an interval of long distance. At night, if I stand next to one of the trees, before long, I can find crickets making the loudest sound in the place. Other than those chirping sound, the place is in the silence itself. After ten at night, there are no cars and all the stores are closed. Without yellow feeble street light bulbs, I only have the light of moon and stars. When I look at both sides of the street, there are so many alleys which almost look like an ant's nest or a maze. The alleys are not paved at all and they repeatedly frost and melt in winter, which makes them muddy.

This countryside may sound like no more than a calm and peaceful place. It really was. It was a place where I always walked along with my friends in my childhood after school. It was a place where I used to pass on my bicycles to meet my friends. However, it didn't take long for me to change my mind about this place. It really was a swamp. There, I got caught by police officers and it took really long to solve the problem. I was innocent but nobody in the police station believed in me. Just insisting about my innocence didn't help at all. Driven to the corner through the whole night, I felt the weariest feeling in my life but it didn't ended for a long time. I had really hard time because of the case and I cannot get rid of the bitter taste when I think of the place until now.

2 comments:

  1. You really have a lot of details in your writing. It helped me get a clear picture of the situation. I thought it interesting that you decided to close your eyes at a very intense moment. It seemed as if you were calmer than the girl you talked about. I liked how you end your description by saying you "walked away."
    4.4
    I thought you had a pretty good description of the place, but I didn't get the part about why the police officers caught you. What did you do? It wasn't really clear to me. I think you need more specific details in that part of your description. What were you doing? Did you get caught because you trespassed? I think your writing will be much better if you add more details.
    - Alyssa Yoo-

    ReplyDelete
  2. you used so various words for describing the scene and your feeling. "Other than those chirping sound, the place is in the silence itself." for example, the way you describe silence is impressive to me. It is really useful for me to describe something.

    One suggestion: Like Alyssa said, I can't understand why you were caught by police. your description is really good. but some explanation of story is needed for clear understanding

    Changyu Kang

    ReplyDelete