Friday, October 28, 2016

Gitae Shin/Task4.2 & Task4.4 (p.108-109)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

[Task 4.2]

I was walking around the campus after I was done with my mid-term exams. Because it was quite late at night with no exam, there was almost none. I took a seat near the Obama Trail starts and remained still. I closed my eyes with little bit of tiredness and tried to feel the relaxing atmosphere which the empty campus was giving off. As soon as I sat on the bench, the particular smell of a rainy day came to my nostrils along with gentle night breeze. It was a cool and refreshing air which I had not felt for a while. I decided to lie face up to feel other senses except for the sense of sight. I was not able to see the wind, but to hear it blowing. It touched my cheek gently and softly as if I had been her boyfriend. I picked up the faint sound of cars in the distance and I thought that it would be really great if I could drive right now. Remembering moments when I drove seemed pretty nice, but unfortunately I knew that it was impossible at that moment. Leaving the unfulfilled desire behind, I continued focusing on my hearing again. This time I could hear someone singing from the distance. A woman's voice hit and held every note with perfect ease and clarity. Her voice made me imagine how she would look like for a few moments. She sang for about 10 minutes and her voice disappeared without leaving any trace on my ears. Not knowing how much time had passed, I opened my eyes. I went back home.

 

[Task 4.4]

1. Holy's Coffee shop.

[Reason]: The very first place I worked as a part-timer.

2.

Sight

Coffee bean, customers, uniform, managers, etc.

Sound

Blender, grinder, conversations, milk frother, etc.

Smell

Coffee, tea, Croque-monsieur, bagel, and Paner, etc.

Taste

Coffee, tea, cake, etc.

Touch

Ice, coffee, bread, beverages, etc.

3. It was a very big coffee shop considering the size of my city. There were about 20 tables in the shop, so probably it could accommodate more than 60 customers at once. The shop was located on the same floor right next to movie ticket box. During the weekend, numerous people came and ordered countless cups of coffee. A smell from grinded coffee beans prevailed in the shop but it was not annoying at all. Also whenever different types of coffee and tea were served, those gave off their own smells as if they had competed with each other to show off their affluence and uniqueness. Soft music was playing during the entire work hours and songs' slow tempo often seemed isolated from the reality where orders were flooding in and when customers shouted at workers for their precious coffee and beverages. Some people had cakes and bread. The smell of heated and fresh Croque-monsieur, bagel, and Paner led to secretion of gastric juices in part-timers' guts and to burning feeling in their stomach. Hot vapor kept coming out from the milk frother but the coldness from the ice box next to it offset the heat. Dark brown uniform with couple of inerasable stains had part-time workers look shabby and lethargic which seemed totally different from customers who were chilling out and enjoying evening hours and from managers who did nothing but checking on workers. Only blending and grinding sounds always had been next to employees all the time by making huge noise although they looked

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your description of the coffee shop. I especially liked the part, "The smell of heated and fresh Croque-monsieur, bagel, and Paner led to secretion of gastric juices in part-timers' guts and to burning feeling in their stomach." I totally understand what you are trying to describe because I think I had very similar experience in the past. You also used lots of information from your senses.
    To suggest for any improvements, I think you can add more details about why the coffee shop was important for you by adding more about how you felt about the place. Also, I don't understand why some parts of your writing in the end are deleted.

    201202334 Kweonho Lee

    ReplyDelete