Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Do Hyun Lim/ Fifth Post/ Tues 9-11 AM

Task 3.3

Q3: I liked figurative languages used in this essay where it used lots of personification when describing the rain which gave it vividness and emotion in it. However, the metaphor part, "He is the brother of the rain," seemed ambiguous to me. Throughout the essay, there is no content that relates to that sentence. While I liked the overall feeling of the essay, the use of metaphor was not effective.

 

Task 3.4

Q1: My brother is a leaping frog.


Essay

"Ding-dong." Finally, there was the doorbell. The beginning of the tiring two hours started like that during my high school years because it was the time my math tutor comes. Usually wearing a hat, he always greeted me bluntly when he came into my house.


"Let's see what you have done, do you have any questions for the exercises?" Lessons almost always started like that and sometimes I was anxious, because I haven't done it. In those cases, he would simply tell me to solve the questions while I would ask some questions while solving it. The classes usually went on as expected, but the stories he told me from time to time was interesting to hear, as he was studying art in university. It was very unusual considering that he dropped out of astronomy department of Seoul National University and pursued a new field in art. He told me stories of how all students gather around an object or a model with a canvas, how to make drawings look 3D, and so on, giving me more detailed knowledge about it other than simple work I did in art class. Also, looking back, I had a feeling that he had his own philosophy in life and makes me wonder about it these days because I didn't know anything about those kinds of ideas at that time and did not ask anything about it. Nevertheless, I remember him saying that learning about outer space makes us realize how little we know about anything. I don't know why but he left me great impression in my memories, perhaps because of his uniqueness.


 

 

2 comments:

  1. It was interesting. especially when you started your essay, you suggested the sound 'ding-dong' and it caught my attention. And really, I guess meeting good instructor for your life is the huge luck. However, I think that you didn't use the metaphor. So how about put your tutor into something alike? Then expressions that you want to make would be more effective.

    Hyeonju Oh

    ReplyDelete
  2. you used direct quotation mark and it worked well to draw my attention. Until the half way, your essay seemed bit pain, but right after you revealed your tutor's own story, it was getting interesting enough. One thing I want to comment is that you did not use any metaphor which we were asked to incorporate in our essays.

    ReplyDelete