Friday, October 7, 2016

Kim Young Woo 201203937 / 3.2 Writing Assignment / Narrative Composition Tues

Having Fun While Studying

Kangnam station, home to the many academies that attract people from all over Seoul, is filled with students of all age who will try to improve themselves any way possible. After finishing their overly priced session at their institutions, where would they all head to practice what they had learned? Of course, the overly priced cafes of Kangnam. Amongst all the other determined students who were meticulously writing away and reading their books, one girl was definitely unlike the others here at Holly's cafe. She was dressed in a short skirt, fashionable top, with a full blown make-up do, and did I forget to mention that it was Friday night.


She was reading the Korean newspaper with her very high tech laptop opened and her earphones connected to it. However, it was what she was doing with her head that caught my attention. She was bobbing her head and I was left wondering what kind of music would make her head move this way when she was reading the newspapers. Soon, it was all clear to me. This girl was not bobbing her head at just any tempo, but it was no other than a typical 128 bpm track, the typical music you would be able to hear at any Kangnam clubs.


She would continue reading away like this for the next forty minutes or so. Her head bobbing would sometimes slow down, assuming that it was during the chorus or the bridge, and it would go into a duration of rapid bounce for some time. To top her very unusual behavior, while reading the newspapers, I saw her take out three different kinds of fruits from her very expensive looking bag. First it was just a couple tangerines, then a container filled with mini tomatoes, and finally she some grapes to become the greatest multitasker this cafe has ever seen. At one moment, she was underlying words in the newspaper while she inserted grapes into her mouth and used the same hand to take the seeds out to put into the plastic bag next to her, and in the midst of all this, of course her head bobbing away to the mysterious music playing through her earphone. This was a girl who definitely knew how to enjoy her study time.


- Kim Young Woo 201203937

2 comments:

  1. The girl is definitely drawing my attention too. I was really surprised to find out that the fully dressed up girl was actually reading a newspaper. I have never seen a girl reading newspaper in cafe. I wouldn't think that she was really reading some heavy articles of politics or economics that require more attention.
    Her multitasking ability is truly impressive. I wouldn't be able to read anything while bobbing my head to music and eating.
    The good thing about your writing is that you described her actions very vividly. I was able to picture the girl doing all those three actions simultaneously because you had lots of details.
    I believe more description of her appearance and facial expression would make the story more interesting. I really want to know how she looked like, who did she resemble, or other details about her looks.

    201202334 Kweonho Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is really unique person. Especially I love her move with grapes. When I firstly read about her outlook, I surprised at unbalanced situation between she and her newspaper which actually came from my prejudice. Actually the person who dressed up can read newspaper with bobbing her head...lol I think the way you describe her is brilliant. Fruits that she ate are also make scenes colorful. I'm sure that she enjoyed her study time.

    But I want to know about her face in specific. I cannot find the description on her facial expression. While listening club music, while eating grapes... what face expressions were on her face? If I knew what she looks like, it would be much more helpful to enjoy reading. Thank you for interesting description!

    Hyeonju Oh

    ReplyDelete