Sunday, October 16, 2016

Kweonho Lee/Responses & Character description Assignment (p. 77)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

Task 3.3

3. I believe the writer's use of metaphor was effective because the sentence, "He is the brother of the rain" instantly caught my attention. I was interested to see the expression and I wanted to read more to find out what the metaphor meant. After reading the descriptions of the metaphor, I was able to imagine a quiet man who provides comfort to others. It made me think of my dad who would always listen to me and support me.

Task 3.4

1. My dad is an umbrella. – My dad was always protective of me when I was a child. He took good care of me and made sure that everything was safe for me. I still rely on my dad when I need his advice or support.

 

Big body, Bigger heart

 His name is often misunderstood by others as one of his nickname. Jeon Ga-deuk, literally meaning "I'm full" in Korean, is his real name. In fact, he is a big guy who weighs more than 120kg. People usually freak out when they encounter him in the street at night because of his scary, tough-looking face and huge size. When I first saw him about 12 years ago, I tried my best to keep away from him because I didn't want to mess with the big bully. However, I failed to do so and the big guy became my best friend.

 He always keeps his short hair in crew cut style which makes his face a perfect square with his puffy cheeks. There are some wrinkles on his forehead like a fierce bull dog and his face looks red because he has a lot of red marks and acne scars. He has a short, uncared mustache under his flat nose and the lips are relatively small for his wide face. In winter, his face becomes a desert. The skin gets chapped from dryness because he never puts lotion on his face and he doesn't seem to be bothered at all. Also, he has such a short neck that it looks like his head is directly connected to his chubby body. Though he doesn't care about his appearance and might not be the most kind-looking man, he is a guardian angel. He is very considerate and takes really good care of his family and friends. He cares more about others than himself.

 Whenever we meet and hang out at night, he always checks the time.

 "It's nine forty already. I gotta go." He would always say this to me when the time is close to ten o'clock. His mom runs a cosmetic shop which closes at ten so he goes there before ten o'clock every day to help her with closing up the shop. Then, he always walks home with his mom holding her hands. After completing his mission, he comes back to me to spend the rest of our time. He even walks me home when I'm drunk. No matter how tired he is, he never forgets this daily routine of taking his people home safely.

 All of my other friends envy me for having a cool, reliable friend and I feel proud of him. Everyone wants to be friends with him after having a short time of conversation because he makes people laugh and feel comfortable. Even my parents often praise him for his favorable personality.

One day, I became curious and asked him why he was so much obsessed with taking people home.

"Why would you do that every day? Don't you feel exhausted after walking them home?" I asked him. It was definitely respectable, but it was really hard for me to understand at first.

"Of course it's tiresome, but I feel comfortable this way. So it's worth it," he replied. "Just imagine that someone who you love gets in trouble on the way home. How much are you going to regret afterwards? I don't want to regret for not doing this simple thing for my family or friends."

"But it's not likely to happen, don't you think so?" I asked again.

He lit his cigarette and stopped for a moment.

"Well, probably not. But you know what? Actually, it's not about being a hero in some dangerous situations. I just want them to feel that they are being cared and loved. It is more like doing a little favor to the people I care for," he answered to my question smiling.

 Although he is my best friend, he is sometimes my teacher. I didn't fully understand his words at that time. However, after spending more time with him, I now understand what he meant and I feel the same way. He has a strong influence on me and I learn a lot from him because he is always considerate and more mature than me. His big body is actually full of warm hearts

 

2 comments:

  1. What I liked the most in this essay is your title. It explains the full essay really well.
    You used different metaphors and similes, not repeating same thing. Among them, I like the expression 'guardian angel'. It goes along with your explanation about him.
    But I think Ga-Deuk is "Full" rather than "I'm full". As a Korean speaker, I had no problem understanding it as I know the meaning of Ga-Deuk, but I think it may confuse those who don't know Ga-Deuk in Korean.
    In terms of organization, I think 'All of my other friends ~' paragraph is not essential. It would still read smoothly without that paragraph. And I think quotation was good as it makes him more vivid.
    Also, I like this sentence: 'He lit his cigarette and stopped for a moment.' It makes me stop for a moment, too. It makes me wait for what he would say next. :)
    Thank you for nice story.

    Yousun Jung 201003163

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.He is a big guy with a bigger heart.

    2.
    -he is a big guy who weighs more than 120kg.
    -he goes there before ten o'clock every day to help her with closing up the shop. Then, he always walks home with his mom holding her hands.
    -" I just want them to feel that they are being cared and loved. It is more like doing a little favor to the people I care for,"

    3.
    a. his scary, tough-looking face and huge size
    b. "Of course it's tiresome, but I feel comfortable this way. So it's worth it," he replied. "Just imagine that someone who you love gets in trouble on the way home. How much are you going to regret afterwards? I don't want to regret for not doing this simple thing for my family or friends."
    c. he never forgets this daily routine of taking his people home safely.
    d. Everyone wants to be friends with him after having a short time of conversation because he makes people laugh and feel comfortable. Even my parents often praise him for his favorable personality.

    4. No.

    5. Because he is the writer's best friend from whom the writer can learn a lot.

    6. I wonder how two of you becmae friends.

    201301511 Yukyung Bang

    ReplyDelete