Saturday, October 15, 2016

Moses Choi/ Fifth Post/ Tues 9-11 AM

Task 3.3

3. As I read this essay, I felt like I was with someone who is very calm, quiet, and neat, who rarely speaks. An image of a woman talking to him under an umbrella, in the rain, came to my mind.

Task 3.4

1. My sister's arms are twigs.

 

My Professor

           I am a junior in my university now, and in a few months, I'll become a senior. That means so far I have taken many classes, and have met many professors. Among them, there were several professors who were particularly impressive. Professor Min, who taught me econometrics and market structure, was one of them.

           At first glance, he looked like a member of mafia. When he entered the classroom for his first lecture, I got little tense and stopped talking before I knew it. He was big, even though he was not that tall. His hair was very short. He was wearing a simple T-shirt and jeans, which made him even less look like a professor, at least to my eyes. Entering the classroom, he went right to the computer and prepared his lecture, without any expression on his face. I was very worried about the entire course, and nervously waited for the first class to begin.

           It all changed as soon as he stated giving the lecture. Little after 9 o'clock, he said very gently, "Okay, now let's get started." His tone of voice was so meek and mild, so was his expression. After the first class with him, I realized that the first impression I had had about him was totally wrong. Throughout the whole semester, he never got angry with students. During the lecture, what he said the most was "It's okay if you don't understand this right away. I'll explain it again." Also, he was very enthusiastic about teaching. If students got confused about some concept, he explained it over and over again, and tried very hard to make sure everyone understood what he had been saying. Even in the break time, he never refused to answer the questions from students, so he never took his own breaks.

           Everyone who knew him liked him. One of my friends once consulted the professor about his future, and after that he said, "I was so impressed by his caring attitude towards me. He treated me as if I were his own son." Well, I totally agreed with my friend, and just like him, I am taking another course by him this semester. Every week, I look forward to his next class.


Moses Choi

3 comments:

  1. 1. He is enthusiastic and kind to his students.
    2.
    -He was very enthusiastic about teaching.
    -Even in the break time, he never refused to answer the questions from students, so he never took his own breaks.
    -Everyone who knew him liked him

    This shows that he has a passion for teaching and shows care towards his students, giving up his break time and taking time to explain to his students. Also we know that he is liked by people.

    3. What the person does: If students got confused about some concept, he explained it over and over again, and tried very hard to make sure everyone understood what he had been saying.
    what the person looks like: He was big, even though he was not that tall. His hair was very short. He was wearing a simple T-shirt and jeans, which made him even less look like a professor, at least to my eyes.

    4. Nothing

    5. He is currently taking the same professors class and he like the professor very much.

    6. What class does he teach?
    Does he give good grade?

    201400916 KIM HYUN JEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your writing, I was able to know what the professor was like, thanks to your detailed description of his appearance. I especially liked the sentence, “He looked like a member of mafia.” Your use of simile really helped me in imagining his figure. I was also impressed by the fact that he never refused to answer the questions from students because not many professors sacrifice their break time to help their students. You chose to write about him because he was one of the most impressive professors in your university life. I think the contradiction between his looks and his attitude toward teaching is what makes the man so special and impressive.
    In the next draft, I would like to see more of your direct interaction with the professor. Adding some episodes or conversation between you and the professor would make the person look more significant to you. Also, you didn’t mention about how the professor showed his caring attitude to your friend during the consultation. What kind of words did he say to your friend that made him feel so nice? I think you can add more quotations or illustrations about that.

    201202334 Kweonho Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Professor Min is a kind, enthusiastic professor.

    2.
    -He said very gently, "OK, lets get started."
    -He never got angry with students
    -He explains concepts over and over again until student understands it

    3.
    What the person looks like
    He looked like a member of mafia.

    What the person says
    "OK, lets get started."

    What the person does
    ...he went right to his computer and prepared his lecture

    What other people say about the person
    "He treated me as if I were his own son"

    4. No

    5. He was one of the impressive professors in university and the writer enjoys his class.

    6. Does he give out lots of work?

    Do Hyun Lim

    ReplyDelete