Sunday, October 16, 2016

Yukyung Bang/Fifth Post/Narrative Composition Tuesday 9-11 a.m.

201301511 방유경

Task 3.3

I think metaphors are effective only when they are properly used. The writer need to carefully pick a specific similarity that can connect two different things so that readers feel the emotions the writer tried to trigger in the first place. In the writing 'Rain,' the writer said that the rain is similar with his/her brother in various ways, which made me a little confused. I thought it would be better if he focused on one aspect of him and the rain and made metaphors based on it.

 

Task 3.4

My friend is an angry bull.

 

My grandfather was a stylish old man. He used to wear a black felt hat with narrow brim and a matching suit. Despite of his all-gray hair and wrinkled face, he looked strong and sharp for his age. He was about 6 feet tall, so when I was little, I had to look all the way up until my neck hurt to make eye contact with him. He was also a heavy smoker. Whenever he was smoking a cigarette in his suits, it was like a scene from a movie. That was why I loved to go to school with him because my friends who saw us on the way to school said to me later, "Wow, I thought he was your father!" They were jealous of me who had such a cool grandfather.

 

But that was not the only cool thing about him. He was like a friend of mine, only 65 years older. There was one more thing he was addicted to besides cigarettes. He was a coffee addict and made me make his coffee after every meal. My mother didn't like this because I kept trying to take a sip of it. She used to watch me while I was making his coffee and let me go after making sure I didn't drink it. But that was fine with me because my grandfather used to share his coffee with me, without my mother knowing. Even though we got caught later, I didn't get scolded thanks to my accomplice.

 

He was also good at playing with us. Back then, there were no smartphones, but only books and nature to play with. He used to sit me on his lap and read a book with his cracking, husky voice from smoking. He tried so hard to keep me entertained. When I started to get bored, he grabbed my hand and took me outside. Then, he would catch all sorts of insects, from butterflies in spring, to cicadas and grasshoppers when it was summer, to dragonflies in fall. He let me observe it for a while and freed it in the grass, saying, "Honey, every life is precious. Don't forget that." For me, he was the best teacher. With him, I learned what I could have never learned at school.

 

Even though he became a star in the night sky, I still remember the feel of his wrinkled hand holding mine, his voice calling me "honey", his warm eyes looking at me, and, above all, how much he loved me.

2 comments:

  1. 1. He is a stylish gentleman.

    2.
    - He used to wear a black felt hat with narrow brim and a matching suit.
    - But that was fine with me because my grandfather used to share his coffee with me, without my mother knowing.
    - He was also good at playing with us.

    3.
    - What the person looks like
    espite of his all-gray hair and wrinkled face, he looked strong and sharp for his age.

    - What the person says
    "Honey, every life is precious. Don't forget that."

    - What the person does
    He used to sit me on his lap and read a book with his cracking, husky voice from smoking.

    4. X

    5.
    I think the writer has a very good, heartwarming childhood memories about her grandfather, and misses him.

    6.
    - Other than yourself, how did he treat other people, say, your parents?
    - According to other people, what was he like when he was younger?

    Moses Choi

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.
    - Her grandfather was cool guy not just because of his appearance but also because of his personality.

    2.
    - My grandfather was a stylish old man.
    - He used to wear a black felt hat with narrow brim and a matching suit.
    - But that was not the only cool thing about him. He was like a friend of mine, only 65 years older.

    3.
    - What the person looks like
    He was about 6 feet tall.

    - What the person says
    "Honey, every life is precious. Don't forget that."

    - What the person does
    He tried so hard to keep me entertained.

    - What other people say about the person
    Wow, I thought he was your father!

    4. X

    5.
    - I think the writer loves him very much. and probably he is one of the most precious person in her life. so maybe she wrote about him remembering wonderful memory with him.

    6.
    - do you have any memory scolded by him?

    Changyu Kang

    ReplyDelete