Sunday, September 11, 2016

정유선Yousun Jung/First post/Tues 9-11am

My earliest memory related to writing is diaries with drawings that I had started to write in kindergarten days. It was only two or three sentences and rather focused on drawing, and it was not a 'diary' in the true sense of the word. Still, it was a great pleasure for me because teachers and my parents used to give me lots of compliments. As a child who loved reading, I soon got to love writing, too.

From that moment, I had loved writing almost every time of my life. In my schooldays, for example, I used to write persuasive essays about reunification of Korea or the importance of rice. I got 10kg of rice or gift cards with my writings. Those experiences made me feel satisfied. Also, I loved to write letters. I wrote lots of letters or answered back to friends of mine. There was a big basket under my desk to keep all letters from them.

Among all my writing, however, the most pleasant writing was writing some literary essays for three years when I lived in India working as a NGO worker. I kept a diary in a daily basis, and later made it as literary essays and sent to many friends who were curious about my life in India. When I found a website named 'Brunch', which is for writers, I uploaded it there. I got quite a lot of feedback, and it was my first experience to write an amount of work and to get feedback from many people. It made me love writing more.

However, I am not used to writing in English. As I was born and raised in Korea, I am not sure whether expressions I use are awkward or not. It makes me less confident in English writing. I try to write sentences in the right grammar as much as I can and to figure out which expression fits what I want to write, but writing in English makes me feel small.

I feel in totally different way when writing in my first language (Korean) and writing in English, but there is something common: I really want to improve my writing in both, and I will keep struggling for better writing.


 

정유선 Yousun Jung

1 comment:

  1. I loved your writing. You said that you are not used to write in english, but I think that you knows how words that you uses make your writing gorgeous. And also I'm really impressed by experiences that you had. When you worked in india, you already had a chance to get feedbacks for your writing. And diaries that you wrote in that times, I'm sure, they are priceless.

    Hyeonju Oh

    ReplyDelete