Sunday, September 18, 2016

Choi, Won-joon/Question number 5 (p. 50)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday 9-11 a.m.

The Black TV Screen Syndrome

 

Two hours that night in my friend's house were just enough to make me suffer from insomnia, which ruined my daily routine for several weeks.


October 2002, there was a typhoon called Rusa, the most powerful typhoon ever to strike South Korea. My friends and I were 11-year-old kids living in the city Samcheok and our parents were quite enthusiastic to help the flood victims. When they were out for the voluntary work, we used to stay together in one of our houses. One day, like the other days before, five kids were all together at night and I didn't know I would get into trouble this day.


One of my friends said, "What are we going to do today?" Another replied, "I've got something to show you guys." Then he took a video tape out of his bag and the title was written on it; The Ring. This was the exact point where the problem began, and it was so kind of him to prepare that Japanese horror movie for our horrible night.


I have no idea why we had to watch that movie. But I remember our bluffing not to be a loser or a coward. "Is it really that scary? I am not afraid of such a thing." Maybe, we were pretending to be "manly" among each other. As a result, we turned the light off and started the video.


I don't remember the story at all, but there's a scene that I cannot forget forever. One of the main characters turns a cursed video on. After a glimpse of buzzing TV screen, it shows a creepy well. Sadako, the Virgin Ghost with long hair covering all over her face, comes out of the well and slowly walks forward. It crawls out of the screen and makes the main character die.


That night, when I came back home, I had stomachache. Of course, I was so nervous watching the video that my digestive system refused to work. I told my mom, took pills and tried to go to bed. Unfortunately, stomachache was not the only symptom. After turning the light off in my bedroom, very naturally, I came up with Sadako. What is worse, when my eyes got accustomed to the darkness, I could see the silhouette of TV in the living room while I was lying on my bed. "That black screen will be turned on with the buzzing sound and Sadako will come out of the well and then…," through the whole night, I worried, worried and worried endlessly. Aftereffect of the black TV screen syndrome remained for about 3 weeks.


Time heals all wounds? Yes, these days I sleep tight without any fear of nightmare; but no, I hate watching horror movies.

3 comments:

  1. I hate watching horror movies too. I think horror movies are just a waste of time.

    I liked how you described yourself after watching the movie. As a person who doesn't like scary movies, I can even imagine myself doing the same thing.

    I haven't watched 'The Ring' before, but just by reading your writing, I can already feel that I will hate it for sure.

    Hyun Jee Kim 201400916

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is common experience but your writing is very interesting and it makes me remind my childhood memories.
    I never watch horror movies even these days. I didn't even watch , as I cannot bear the flashback. It lasts more than weeks.
    As a child, it is bigger shock. But children pretending to me "manly" are so cute and lovely from adult's view. And it is very good that you write it frankly.
    Above all... I like your conclusion.

    Yousun Jung

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your story pretty well(and I think most good stories are ones that readers can easily relate to.) and I believe others would do so as well. Reading your story, I remember that when I was young, I was really really scared of Gangsi and practiced to hold my breath so that it cannot find me. What is worse is that we always create images that are a lot scarier than what we actually saw in the movie, right? That was when I realized how strong the power of imagination is. Anyway, I like you set a spooky atmosphere by mentioning "typhoon" at the beginning!

    Yukyung Bang

    ReplyDelete