Saturday, September 10, 2016

Hyun Jee Kim/ Excercise 2 (Page.11)/ Narrative Composition Tue12

My Writing

 

I like writing, especially writing about my opinion on personal issues or current issues. I like it to the point where I wanted to major in Journalism and become a writer for a newspaper or a magazine. During both middle and high school, I would go to CNN, read articles, and write down my thoughts on the issues that I cared about. As an introvert, writing was one of those things where I could freely express myself without caring about what others thought about me. I would write almost every single day as if I was the editor for a newspaper.

However, I wasn't always like that. Ever since I was a kid, whenever my teacher made me write a short story or a poem, I hated it. I hated writing so much that sometimes I would draw what I wanted to write, even though I'm the worst person when it comes to drawing. This all changed in my 4th grade English class. In the beginning of school year, as a 'get to know' exercise, my teacher made my class write a letter to her about anything we wanted to talk about. At first I thought it was the worst homework that anyone could give us. But it wasn't, it was the opposite. Every week, I wrote to my teacher. Sometimes I wrote to my teacher, complaining about how much homework we had in class, sometimes I would express my love-hate relationship with my little sister and other times I would just write about how I felt on a particular day. I knew what 'writing' was, but through this experience, I was able to learn another form of expression. Although writing letters to my teacher was intended for only three months, after knowing my excitement towards exchanging letters with her, my teacher allowed me to continuously write to her until the end of the 4th grade.

Now, whenever professors give me an assignment on current issues like North Korea and its nuclear bomb, I'm excited to start writing. However if it is writing a poem or story, I groan in frustration,

Entering university in Korea and majoring in a different language, I haven't had much chance to write in English. Although I still love writing, I don't write for fun as I used to nor do I make time to write. Because of this, I've tried my best to take as many writing classes as possible. This semester, I'm taking two other writing classes not just for school credits, but because I personally want to. Through this class, I hope I will be given more chances to write and explore different types of writing. Hopefully, my interest in writing can return.

 

Hyun Jee Kim

2 comments:

  1. Wow HyunJee did you attend middle school and high school in a foreign country or an international school? Your writing style and flow is very easy going and very pleasant to read. Moreover, you were reading CNN and writing your own thoughts on it??!! Maybe you should make your own account and add your insights and comments to articles so that, not only would you be able to pick up writing again but I think it would also be good to shed some new light with your own perspective. It doesn't necessarily have to be on a news outlet, but if you are really interested in writing maybe some apps like Quora and Medium will be a good start for you!! I really did enjoy your writing and I hope that you don't put that talent to waste!!

    -Young Woo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing that you were a kid who hated writing. But at the same time, I can read how much you have poured out your effort. Reading CNN articles and writing down your opinions is not a small work. Doing so constantly is really great. Besides, I can see even now you are trying harder taking more classes. I cannot wait to read your essays.

    Yousun Jung

    ReplyDelete