Friday, September 9, 2016

Kweonho Lee/Exercise 2 (p. 11)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

 My memories about writing in these days are mostly writing for assignments and exams during the school days. I had both good and bad experiences with writings throughout my life. When I was a kid, I used to enjoy writing journals because it was fun to write about my daily lives. However, as I was getting older, I came to feel writing as a part of stressful work and boring studies from school that I must do in order to achieve good grades. I believe such attitudes may be attributed to my past experiences with writings.

 When I entered an elementary school as a child, I had to write journals every day which were my earliest memories of writing. At the time, there was no rule or format of writing that I had to follow, so I just wrote about anything that came into my minds such as what I did after school with my friends, favorite foods that I ate, or TV programs I watched. I sometimes added pictures to supplement my writing and used color pencils to express my feelings and it was truly enjoyable. Fortunately, the teacher liked my journals and shared my stories to the whole class as a good work. Thanks to the compliments from the teacher, I felt comfortable with writing and began to write for the pleasure of myself.

 A few years later, there was a significant turning point in my views of writing. I went to U.S. and attended local elementary school when I was 10 years old. Because the classroom was full of native students of English, it was hard for me to do the school work with not enough proficiency in the language. Especially, when I had to write short paragraphs, I had to keep on searching dictionaries to find the right words with correct grammar. At the time, writing was a huge burden to me and I began to gradually lose interest in writing. Worst experience was seeing the displeased look on the teacher's face when she was looking at my paper when I turned it in. She wasn't considerate enough to give a special care or warm encouragement to the frustrated foreign child. It was one of the bad experiences with writing.

  Besides these memorable incidents, I have had lots of chances for writing in school. I now feel confident enough in writing essays but I still don't enjoy writing for my own pleasure. I mostly write for assignments to please the professor and the peers. However, I hope to get more interests in writing and looking forward to get a chance to write for myself through taking this writing course.

 

201202334 Kweonho Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment