Saturday, September 17, 2016

Kweonho Lee/Question number 5 (p. 50)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

The Ghost Watcher

That night, I wasn't able to sleep a wink due to the horrifying experience that I had in the night. I wasn't the type of person who easily falls into believing ghosts, but after watching all those crazy things, I had to admit that something did exist beyond the world. It was the most appalling experience throughout my life.

In the early spring of 2015, I was serving in military service. There were about ten other members in my room and we were having ordinary days with same routines and schedules until this new guy came in to join our squad. No one in the room was able to expect the terrible things that were about to happen.

At first, he looked just the same with other guys. He was a bit small and had pale faces but seemed to get along well with others. Everyone liked him.

After about a month, however, he started to act strangely. He looked tired every day and kept on dozing off in the daytime. Also, he became skinny and seemed to have lost his appetite. Some members in the room said that they have watched him murmuring something to himself and sometimes smiling for no reason. People started to keep away from him. He was soon sent to the army hospital to get consultation.

When he returned, he confessed that he had been suffering from horrible nightmares. He showed his both arms and a wave of nausea swept over us. The arms were full of festering wounds and scratches that he injured himself while he was asleep. He had been biting off his own arms. Then he claimed that a few buildings in our camp are haunted and the ghosts are causing him such nightmares. I thought that he was just suffering from some kind of anxiety disorder and the stories about ghosts were just nonsense.

That night, I became curious and went out with him to smoke cigarettes while everyone was asleep. He seemed to be very careful and timid so I told him to relax because I'm with him. Also, I told him to let me know when he sees anything because I wanted to see for myself. As we were talking, he seemed to be relieved. Nothing happened for a few minutes.

While listening to him I thought, 'I knew it. He is not seeing ghosts or anything. He is just playing on us.' Just then, he stopped talking all of a sudden. As soon as I noticed an abrupt change in his face, his hands moved really fast and put his cigarette out right away. I was scared at the moment just by looking at the sheer terror that was spreading through his face. He was stuttering while slowly pointing at my back with his trembling fingers. Frozen in fear, I felt a cold sweat in my back and couldn't dare to look back. We just ran back into the camp screaming. There was definitely nothing I can visually see, but I really felt the chill down on my spine at the moment.

When we came back in our room, he shivered to death and began to cry like a baby. Everyone woke up and was shocked by seeing his reactions. No one would be able to say it's fake or he was just acting if they had seen it with their own eyes. After a while, he's eyes were all white just like the ones I had seen in the horror movies of exorcism and then he fainted. I was covered in goosebumps after I saw him in the eyes.

A few days later, he was discharged from the army and everyone in the room including me fell in shock for a while. It was later found out that the buildings he claimed to have been haunted actually had horrifying histories. The commander of our corps explained that some of the buildings he pointed out were used as a place to cremate dead bodies during the Korean War and the other buildings had incidents of suicides about 10 years ago.

Until now, I still remember the scenes clearly. I believe that he was definitely seeing something supernatural and it is the most appalling experience throughout my life.

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made your story more interesting by writing about an experience not a lot of people have. For me, the title was eye-catching. I felt the tension build as I read the story, meaning that your story was very interesting.
    201300001 Alyssa Yoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghost.... I've never seen ghost but your story is so realistic. actually i'm kind of person who wanna believe what i see but .... you wrote it in a frightening way, It's really scary. Just PLEASE dont tell me that it's real

    Changyu Kang

    ReplyDelete