Sunday, September 11, 2016

Moses Choi / First Post / Tues 9-11 a.m.

Write about a pleasant experience you have had with writing. How did this experience affect your attitude toward writing?

           When I was an elementary school student, the school held a writing contest once a year. In my third year, I wrote a short poem, something related to raining in spring. Surprisingly, it was chosen as the second best one, after a short prose by another sixth grader, among the other works of all students. I did not expect any prize, and when I actually won it, I was very thrilled. Also, it made me think that I am capable of writing something good, something people would like to read. I became very confident at writing at that moment, and even now, when I recall that experience, it makes me feel good and confident again.

 

∙ Describe how writing was taught in your previous schooling by answering some or all of these questions: How often did you have to write? What kinds of topics did you write about? Give one or two examples. What kinds of comments did the teacher make on your papers? What was considered more important: the content of your papers (your ideas) or correct grammar and spelling (how you expressed them)?

           A year ago, I took a writing course in HUFS, which was Academic Writing. The professor made us write a lot, and we spent at least half of the class time on writing, and more time at home. As far as I remember, I had to complete one essay every two weeks on average. I usually wrote about topics with which I should either agree or disagree, including the business discretion, the sale of human organs, etc. The professor told me that I was good at using appropriate support statements and evidences to back up my argument, but I should practice more to write faster because I almost always ran short of the time. Also, during her class, the professor always emphasized the importance of contents and the forms of writing, and she also said things like grammar and spelling were only a minor problem.

 

∙ Have you ever done any writing for yourself only – letters to friends or relatives, journals, diaries, poems? If so, explain how this writing was different from the writing you did for school assignments.

I personally have kept a diary since I was in high school. When I was a second grader in high school, I happened to read some quote, which really touched my heart. I wanted to remember that sentence, so I bought a notebook and wrote it. That is how my habit of keeping a diary started. Since it is only for my sake, I write my diary with more discretion than when I write something for school assignments. Also, unlike school assignments, I sometimes read some old writings in my diary. Therefore it helps me with looking into how my thoughts were developed as I age, or even changed.


Moses Choi

3 comments:

  1. It's quite interesting to hear that you keep a diary and write them. Although I enjoy writing,I was always too lazy to write one. Maybe I should start writing a diary too so that I can organize my thoughts.
    I agree with what your professor said about writing, the importance of contents and how grammar is just a minor mistake. I think that whether you are able to write what you want to express to the readers (or if its for you than writing for yourself) is the most important. Grammar or spelling mistakes, most of the time word document does it for you.

    Hyun Jee Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! It seems like you are quite enjoying various kinds of writings; from literature to academic writings. Whenever I see a person who is working with literature like novels or poems, I always wonder about how they can do such a wonderful job. It's marvelous to put emotion into words on paper so that others can be related to the same feeling and be soothed.
    And then about keeping a diary, I am quite impressed about the last sentence you wrote; "Therefore it helps me with looking into how my thoughts were developed as I age, or even changed." Reading the sentence I feel like keeping my diary from now on. Though the contents may not be that philosophical or fantastic, I wonder how it feels when I look back on my lifetime through the written form of my thoughts.

    Choi, Won-joon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience as you where I was unexpectedly recognized as a good writer. It really does affect the confidence level of your writing.
    It is interesting that you have kept a diary since high school, knowing that it is a hard habit to keep. I think this habit may have helped you organize your thoughts which shows in you making good supporting statements. As I believe your ideas are the most important factor in writing, I think your habit is a great asset in writing.
    Also, I wonder what the quote was that inspired you so much!

    Do Hyun Lim

    ReplyDelete