Sunday, September 18, 2016

Hyun Jee Kim/Page 50/Narratve Composition(2) Tue 9-11

The Unforgettable Moment of My Life

 

"I don't want this to end." Hugging my friends and crying, I kept repeating these words during my last week of high school and till my graduation day. At the time, I was 18 years old, a senior in high school. But unlike my friends who were already accepted and leaving the country for college, I didn't know what I was going to do. I had declined offers from American universities and instead was waiting for a reply from Japan.

 

At the beginning of the graduation ceremony, I was okay. I was fine and even excited that I was finally graduating high school. But as the class valedictorian finished her speech and we threw our graduation hats, my emotions broke. I couldn't stop crying.

 

Realizing that I just graduated high school and thinking about my future, I couldn't hold back my tears. Some were happy tears but most were as a result of my fear. I was scared that I wouldn't get into a university and that even if I got in, I wouldn't fit in.

 

I had thought that after all these years, I was brave and confident enough to meet people. Within 12 years of primary education, I had moved schools nine times in three different countries. It had felt like a yearly routine for me to move schools and meet new people. But after thinking about leaving a place where I spent most of my childhood years, I was scared.

 

When it was time to take pictures, my family walked towards me. They were quite surprised to see me crying. I could tell that my mother was holding back her tears. She came up to me and said the words that I still remember until today. "You can do it. You've done this before. I can't wait for what's to come next for your life."

 

Right away, I stopped crying and hugged my family. I think that was when it clicked; I shouldn't be scared, but should be grateful and happy. Looking at my dad who had been living alone for all those years and my mother who had been single-handily raising me, I knew that I should be grateful for the opportunities that I had been given and excited for what was to come next. I kept her words near my heart.

 

My mother was right. In that week, I received my acceptance letter from Japan and later that year I started my college life there. My experience in Japan turned out to be one of the most unforgettable and best times of my life. I had had faith in myself that I could do well in college and be excited for the future.


                                                                                             Hyun Jee Kim


3 comments:

  1. It is never easy to quit the place where you're familiar with and to step towards unknown future.
    But I can see that you took courage and you could make it with support and love from family. :)
    Your sentences are very readable. I think you know how story should go on. I enjoyed it.

    Yousun Jung

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so you must be an exchange student from Japan??? Anyways this was a very good read for me since I was able to relate with my own experiences. Never attending Korean schools in the past, I didn't know what to expect coming to HUFS. But, I think everything turned out rather well and I'm glad that you were able to experience this moment during one of your hardest times because victory is so much sweeter. Starting with a sense of sadness and anxiety made the result more rewarding. It was a good read.

    Kim Young Woo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think many students in Korea, including myself to some extent share your feelings during that period. I could really follow through with your emotions while reading. I'm also glad that the results turned out well.

    Do Hyun Lim

    ReplyDelete