Sunday, September 25, 2016

Changyu Kang/Essay Assignment (p. 50)/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

Intern's Horrible First Day


As you know, all kinds of first day are great. First day you go to university, travel a place you have wanted to visit, or go out with someone whom you have always wanted. But my first day as intern was not great, rather horrible!
  I worked at online marketing agency for 7 months, January to July. I had really wanted this position because I was quite tired of school life which I ran for 1 year after finishing my army duty without break. And at that time, I wanted to experience a real business work. Since my first major is advertisement and I am interested in, marketing agency was a field that I want to drown myself. As result I got a position as intern in online marketing agency and I was very excited. Since my first work starts at 4th Jan which is very first weekday of 2016, I thought timing is also perfect. But things are very different from I had thought.
 January 4th, I still vividly remember everything of the day. I arrived at the office at 9:20 am,(our attendance time was 9:30 am) and an accounting clerk took me to my place. He also gave me a laptop with dual monitor and said "It would be very useful for your work." I said "Thank you sir." Morning passed very fast because I had to set my laptop and greet colleagues. When I greet a staff who is in same team with me, he asked me when will you finish your setting and I replied before lunch time. he said "very good, then get ready to attend a meeting which is held at our client's office after lunch and since It is first official meeting between our team and client, all involved people are going to show up." I should have not say 'before lunch time.
  I couldn't have a lunch well because of upcoming official meeting which is a first time of my life. Anyway I left for our client's office with my team members. We arrived at conference room and soon clients showed up with their laptops. We all seated in a circle and one of clients said "why don't we start this meeting with self-introduction in seating order? Let me start first, my name is …" I started to panic because based on seating order, I had to introduce myself after five clients and that means I would be the first in our team! At that time I couldn't memorize our team members' name. It was freaking frustrating and also embarrassing too.
  "My name is Changyu Kang, and I will work for sportswear category supporting section chief, 000" I finished mine as briefly as possible and awkward moments passed. After all people finished, clients started to explain their brand, business plan, marketing strategy and schedule … They pumped out all kinds of stuffs and I couldn't understand a single word. Characters in presentation was all English and most of them were about professional marketing things. I felt dizzy and just wanted to go home.
  After finishing presentation clients asked us to draw up some marketing strategy guidelines for upcoming spring season before weekend. Thanks to our generous clients I worked by night with my team at my very first day. But I didn't know yet it is a beginning of severe 7 months as intern.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your experience as an intern. I can feel your nervousness just by reading your writing.

    One suggestion, maybe at the conclusion ( the last paragraph), you can add what you learned from this intern or write more about your overall feelings toward your experience. Your last sentence makes it seem like there's more story to your writing, but got cut off. So I think it will be nice if you have strong conclusion/concluding sentence.


    Other than that, your story was interesting!

    201400916 KIM HYUN JEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your title. I think it is attractive and I wanted to read your essay when I saw it.
    Your essay reminds me one of my favorite drama , more specifically, first day of the hero in that drama. It is never easy to adjust yourself to totally new surroundings, especially when it is your working place.
    I can see how hard you tried in your writing, and your quotations make it more vivid.
    But I think your last paragraph doesn't seem like conclusion. It seems that it would go on more. If you can finalize it, it would be greater.
    Thank you for nice story.

    Yousun Jung

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like you unfortunately happened to pick an intensive company! Your last sentence makes me wonder what was it like.
    I liked how you described your experiences along with how you felt. I could feel how you were like at that situation more easily.
    One suggestion for the essay is to show how the company was the same or different to your expectations in the first place. Maybe that would better emphasize why it was "horrible."

    Do Hyun Lim

    ReplyDelete
  5. my final essay
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intern’s Horrible First Day
    January 4th, I still vividly remember everything of the day, the very first day as intern. I arrived at the office at 9:20 am which is 10 minutes ahead of attendance time, and everything was great. An accounting clerk took me to my place. He also gave me a laptop with dual monitor and said “It would be very useful for your work.” I said “Thank you sir.” After arriving at office early, setting up my laptop and greeting colleagues in the office, literally a perfect morning of first day. But the rest was not. It was horrible and also long.

    The company I worked at was online marketing agency. I worked there for 7 months, Jan to Jul in 2016. I had really wanted this position because I was quite tired of school life and most of all, I wanted to experience a real marketing business work. As result I got a position as intern in online marketing agency and I was very excited. But things were very different from I had thought.

    Tragedy started when I greet a staff who is in same team with me. He asked me when will you finish your setting and I replied before lunch time. he said “very good, then get ready to attend a meeting which is held at our client’s office after lunch and since It is first official meeting between our team and client, all involved people are going to show up.” I should have not say ‘before lunch time.’

    I couldn’t have a lunch well because of upcoming official meeting which is a first time of my life. Anyway, after lunch I left for our client’s office with my team members. We arrived at conference room and soon clients showed up with their laptops. We all seated in a circle and one of clients said “why don’t we start this meeting with self-introduction in seating order? Let me start first, my name is …” I started to panic because based on seating order, I had to introduce myself after five clients and that means I would be the first in our team! At that time I couldn’t memorize even our team members’ name. It was freaking frustrating and also embarrassing too.

    “My name is Changyu Kang, and I will work for sportswear category supporting section chief, 000” I finished mine as briefly as possible and awkward moments passed. After all people finished, clients started to explain their brand, business plan, marketing strategy and schedule … They pumped out all kinds of stuffs and I couldn’t understand a single word. Characters in presentation was all English and most of them were about professional marketing things. I felt dizzy and just wanted to go home.

    After finishing presentation clients asked us to draw up some marketing strategy guidelines for upcoming spring season before weekend. Thanks to our generous clients I worked by night with my team at my very first day. After all, I went home at 10:00 pm. I was exhausted and was not sure if I can endure this workload for 7 months. I knew working at marketing agency would be hard and give me many pressures, but didn’t expect this much. It was far beyond my expectation.

    There were lots of overtime working like first day and even working on weekend during 7 months. Yes it was extremely hard physically and mentally, but I met many people who work in marketing field and experienced a real work which would be impossible if I were in school. I reflected myself and deeply thought about real meaning of hardworking and cooperation. Including horrible first day, 7 months are priceless time to me and become my precious asset.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Changyu Kang

    ReplyDelete