Monday, September 19, 2016

Do Hyun Lim/Second Post/Tues 9-11 A.M.

             I often saw people using cellphones with broken screens for a long time and thought "Wow, that must be very uncomfortable, it's great that my cellphone is still intact." It never crossed my mind that the same could happen to me one day.

             A day before the tragic event, I was very excited because it was the day of my trip to Incheon with three of my friends. We gathered at Hwegi station and headed to our destination. Time was valuable since it is only a two day trip, and we filled our stomachs with kimbab and sandwiches along the way. After having lots of fun at Walmido and Boo-pyung, we went to a Jjim-jil-bang to get some sleep. As with most Jjim-jil-bangs, it had a hard, marble floor and looked shiny and fancy.

             Despite the boiling weather outside that was identical to the sauna next door, they did not turn on the air conditioning. Only three fans were available and the spot was already taken by several lucky people. I had no choice but to sleep somewhere else, which I failed because I woke up many times. After two or so hours of the repetition of waking and sleeping, a spot was finally available near the fan! Excited, I took my pillow and almost ran to the spot, without realizing that my cellphone was half-out of my pocket. My mind was definitely someplace else until I heard a noise, "Wajangchang." The cellphone's screen was into pieces and unlike the usable phones I saw that belonged to other people, my touchscreen did not work at all.

             The first involuntary no-cellphone day was indeed uncomfortable. I could not receive nor make any calls and kakaotalks. It was, however, the second travel day so I managed it with lots of fun. The next day was Monday so I went to the repair shop right away after school. They charged me 70,000 won for changing the screen and unexpectedly asked me, "Which color do you want?" I was about to say "white," which was the original color but changed my mind to gold because I thought it would be interesting. Now, I have a phone with a gold front and white back. Who has a phone like this?

3 comments:

  1. Personally I used to think exactly like you, "that will not happen to me forever!" However, I broke my cell phone screen last year for the first time in my life. That is why I could read your story without being distracted and I am pretty sure that most people will think so too because they also have been there at least once or so.
    How you managed the incidence is not usual. Most cell phone users are addicted to it, so they are likely to be anxious and uneasy if they do not have it. In that sense you seem rational and optimistic, which is also well described in the last sentence. As you said, who could have phone like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I exactly know how it feels at the moment you find your cellphone got crashed, because I have a similar experience. I was crossing the street near the main gate of HUFS holding my phone on my left hand. Somebody happened to hit my hand in a hurry and I heard the sound "Wajangchang" maybe the same sound you've heard. Argh... That sadness... I remember that feeling lasted until I got my phone repaired.
    I saw your unique phone in class and was quite interested in it. For some time, I've been thinking about people carrying similar shapes and colors of their phones, which looks far from their individual characteristics. But,after the accident, yours is the one and only! It's great to see you know that.

    Choi, Won-joon (201203589)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing made me laugh a lot, especially "wajanchang" really got me. I think you have the ability to tell your story more vividly. Also, I like how you ended your story. At first I felt pity for you but the last sentence changed it entirely and now I kind of envy you because mine looks boring with only one color. Great work!

    Yukyung Bang

    ReplyDelete