Monday, November 21, 2016

Yousun Jung/Task 5.2/Narrative Composition/Tues 9-11am

  1. Choose a classmate, friend, or family member to interview.
    - I chose one of my friends, Sophie.

  2. Before the interview, prepare a short list of questions.
    (1) What do you major in your university?
    (2) In your major, what specific subject or topic are you interested in?
    (3) Are you going to keep studying or get a job related to that area?
    (4) Why or why not?

  3. During the interview, take notes or tape the conversation.
    (1) I major in Biotechnology.
    (2) I am particularly interested in human's immune system and viruses. Above all, I'm interested in AIDS—Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome— which is one of the disease attacking the immune system.
    (3) Yes, I'm going to keep studying. I am thinking of going to graduate school and getting a job in this field. I'd like to work in labs.
    (4) I was able to meet some people living with AIDS after I had started studying this area. I felt strong compassion with them, and it made me dream to help them with my studying. I really want to keep studying, not because I want to live a wealthy life but because I want to benefit others by studying and having jobs in this area.

  4. Then ask the other person to interview you.
    (1) I major in French.
    (2) I like some French novels. Also, I am interested in social and cultural aspects of France, especially the spirit of "antithesis" in France interests me a lot. I like studying history about French Revolution, 68 Revolution or Resistance.
    (3) Not really. I don't think I can, that's why I don't plan for it.
    (4) There are not many jobs related to French literature or culture. I don't think I can study further in this area to be competent enough to get those jobs. I don't want to compete in this area. I think I can just leave it as my hobbies.

  5. Freewrite on the following questions.
    - What did you learn about interviewing?
    I've learned that it is very important to maintain the subject and the stance. Otherwise the interview will be meaningless. Also, I learned that I need some more interesting questions for interviewee so that he or she can talk with ease.
    - What question got the longest answer? Why?
    The fourth question: Why are you going to keep studying or get a job related to that area? I think "why" question gets the longest answer, because it demands the specific reasons that cannot be answered by simple yes or no.
    - What question got the shortest answer? Why?
    The first one: What do you major in your university? I think it's just a simple question, which askes the simple answer.
    - What question led to the most interesting response? Why?
    The last one. It can differ person by person more than any other question, and its difference is unimaginable extent.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment