Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Changyu Kang/Ch.5 Essay/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

Smartphone vs Relationship

Changyu Kang

I conducted In-Depth Interview to figure out dependence of smartphone on 20s and the result it causes. I picked my friend as interviewee. She is my college friend and we have known each other for 4 years. I started from the questions related to smartphone using patterns to understand to what extent she depend on the smartphone to the ones related to the result. Before the interview, I made a hypothesis that '20s might make fully use of smartphone which means they enjoy all kinds of content smartphone provides and this makes 20s in nowadays tend to do many things by themselves not with others.'

We met the bar located in Sinchon on weekend for interview. Actually I picked the place for interview because I wanted comfortable atmosphere which made interviewee respond to the question openly and sincerely and secondly, we both like alchohl. I started from easy one "How's it going? It's been a long time since we met." She said, "Fine, nothing special actually. And yes! It's really good to see you." We grabbed some beers as usual and talked about what we are doing these days. After about 15 minutes I threw prepared questions for this interview. "What do you usually do with your smartphone?" I asked her. "You know, I enjoy all kinds of smartphone's content. Read webtoons, Watch comedy programs, Use social media not mentioning kakao talk. For me, smartphone is the best toy." Her answer was somewhat what I expected because I have known her as a smartphone heavy user. And I asked her if she has ever felt kinds of guilty feeling because of the fact that her daily life heavily depends on smartphone. I expected yes but her answer was surprising. "No I haven't. I love the way I enjoy smartphone, I mean, it is casual joy. I can enjoy many things I like no matter which places I'm in and unlike computer which makes me feel as if I'm playing in earnest, I like ease feeling smartphone gives to me." Unlike many heavy smartphone users who regret themselves using smartphone too much, she likes her smartphone using pattern.

I found one insight and moved on to find out next one. "Okay, then how about your daily life? Do you prefer to do things such as eating meal, watching movie, going travel etc by yourself or with your friends?" Her answer was different from what I had expected again. "Of course with my friend. I think things are more exciting with friend, even when I have normal meal It tastes better whenever I'm with my friend." After hearing her answer which was different from my hypothesis, I said "I thought you like being alone because you can do all the things with smartphone and you don't need colleagues for that" she answered that she loves smartphone but it doesn't separate her from friends, and she also love playing with them.

To sum up my interview she is far more than smartphone user, she is 'a smartphone dukhu', which means she is obsessed with smartphone and she likes who she is. But this doesn't make her alone. She still loves playing with friends than alone with smartphone. I concluded, unlike my hypothesis, she's keeping balance well between technology and relationship.

2 comments:

  1. 201400916 KIM HYUN JEE
    1. I liked how the writer wrote some descriptions/sentences between the speaker's answer. I think that gives the readers better understanding towards the interviewee.
    2. No.
    3. She has a good balance between technology and relationship. (?)
    4.
    No I haven't. I love the way I enjoy smartphone, I mean, it is casual joy. I can enjoy many things I like no matter which places I'm in and unlike computer which makes me feel as if I'm playing in earnest, I like ease feeling smartphone gives to me."
    :This is effective because it shows her emotions, her love for smartphone.
    5. I think it would be nice if the writer can add some for quotations. Maybe two or three more, or longer quotations.
    6. I think when revising, I think it woulld be better if the writer can write the part about interview longer, and shorten the introduction and concluding paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. What did you like about this essay? Be as specific as possible.
    I liked the writer’s choice of topic which was interviewing about the dependence on smartphone because the topic would be relevant to almost any readers. I also liked the fact that he chose his friend as an interviewee as she will give sincere answers.

    2. Were there any places where the writer’s meaning was not clear? If so, where were they?
    The part, “I started from the questions related to smartphone using patterns to understand to what extent she depend on the smartphone to the ones related to the result.” I kind of get what the writer means but I had to read it over several times. I think “to the ones related to the result” is not clear. The writer could be more specific or just delete the part to make it clearer.

    3. In your opinion, what was the most important idea that emerged from the interview? In other words, what do you see as the thesis statement of this essay? If the writer’s thesis statement is included in this draft, copy it below. If you do not find a thesis statement in the essay, write one or two sentences to express what you think is the most important idea from the interview.
    I think the most important idea in the interview is that the interviewee was quite different from what the writer had expected. The writer thought that being a heavy smartphone user would definitely make her prefer to be alone, but she enjoyed hanging out with her friends as well.

    4. Write down one direct quotation from the interview that you thought was effective.
    "Of course with my friend. I think things are more exciting with friend, even when I have normal meal It tastes better whenever I'm with my friend." This quotation effectively reveals the person’s thoughts and its specific explanations help the readers to understand why the person prefers to be with friends.

    5. Do you feel that there are too many quotations from the interview, too few quotations, or about the right number? Explain.
    I feel that there are about the right number of quotations. The writer had enough indirect quotations and explanations about the situation along with his thoughts.

    6. How could the writer improve this essay when he or she revises? Make only one suggestion.
    I think adding some specific information in the body paragraph about how often the person uses her smartphone would make the interview better. You mention that the interviewee is a heavy smartphone user and even “a smartphone dukh”’. However, I don’t feel like she is a serious smart phone addict from reading your interview.

    201202334 Kweonho Lee

    ReplyDelete