Sunday, November 13, 2016

Changyu Kang/Ch.4 Essay Final Draft/Narrative Composition(2) Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

A First trip to America

 

I had a dream, a dream to go to America. To be specific, since I had been big fan of NBA, I was always eager to watch live NBA game. And December 21st I took a first step to make my dream come true. I went to America.

Since my friend lived in Emeryville located in California, I flew to San Francisco which is also located in California. After about 15 hours flying I arrived at San Francisco International Airport. At the airport everything was strange to me. There were various people. Someone wore Hijab and someone wore big size jean with huge headphone. Music in the headphone flow out so I could listen to it. 'Guess he is big fan of 2Pac' I thought. Some groups of people were taking each other with loud voices. They all were talking each other in English. All signs, broadcastings were also English. There were big sign below immigration inspection section written "Welcome to America" I lined up at the section for foreigners. And immigration inspector wasn't considerate to foreigner. His face was absence of expression. He didn't take eyes off the monitor and didn't move at all. He seemed like a robot. He said "Why did you visit America?" "Please put your right thumb on this point." He talked very fast and I had to totally focus on his words. After barely completing my first mission in America: Escape the inspector, I had to find a public telephone to reach my friend.

I went up to first floor with escalator and all I saw was huge square of the airport. I was completely alone. There was no single person I knew, even I could communicate with well. It felt like I were in desert. The square was far much noisy than the immigration inspection section. All people seemed busy to find their companies. A man in suit in front of café was on phone call checking time with his watch. At currency exchange counter a young woman were talking to a worker with loud voice. 'Guess things didn't work to her' I thought. I remembered my friend's direction before the trip: 'Find a public telephone nearby currency exchange counter.' I felt second mission was about to be completed. It was right behind the counter. I inserted some coins and picked up the receiver. As soon as I hold it up to my ear, I smelled the old metal which reminded me of my childhood, the period I didn't have my phone. Ironically this made me think I were not alone. 'Like when I was child, I don't have telephone so I use public telephone to connect my friend. With this, I can meet my friend' that was what I thought at that time. I called my friend and after few ringing tones he answered. I could hear his voice saying "어 도착했냐 금방 갈게" which means "Hey now you arrived. I am going to get there soon". This simple Korean sentence made me so relieved.

After about 20 minutes he arrived at the airport and picked me up with his car. Weather of San Francisco was fantastic. Although it was winter cool wind was blowing and sun was shining at the top of sky. Few white scattered clouds are floating which made me open window of the car. We ran endless road. There was no traffic jam. It is like taking a drive with my friend at vacation spot. I forgot the feeling of anxiety at the airport right away. All missions were completed and all I had to do is just enjoy. I fully inhaled fresh air of San Francisco.

3 comments:

  1. 201400916 KIM HYUN JEE

    1. I liked your last paragraph the most, the scenes that you had in the car. Through your description, I could actually imagine that specific scene that you described. Also, I like how you described your experience with the immigration inspector. I can totally relate to your experience.

    2. Yes. When he was describing the scenes that he encountered at the airport, like description of the people and the immigration counter.

    3. Yes. I liked how he described the smell of telephone. I remember using public telephones, so I'm aware of what kind of smell he is talking about.

    4. Mood: A place full of excitement, since it's his first time in America.

    5. Because his first time in America was an experience that was unforgettable until now.

    6. Maybe you could add in a bit more information about the sight that you had in the car, in the last paragraph. Maybe a bit more detailed description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3. ++Also, he obviously had sight senses when describing how the airport looked like and his scar ride with his friend from the airport.

      201400916 KIM HYUN JEE

      Delete
  2. 1.) What I really liked about Changyu's essay was his introduction and his second paragraph. The first paragraph definitely set the tone for what would come next and helped transition into the narrative. The second paragraph was definitely the most descriptive and I could really tell what kind of experience you had as a foreigner.

    2.) In the second and third paragraph, he did a great job to talk about what he observed in the airport. However, one thing that was unclear to me was, how did you know that he was listening to Tupac? Was it actually that loud or do you really like Tupac? If you were more specific about the song or give us more about how you knew, it would make a lot more sense.

    3. In a place of unfamiliarity, the third paragraph when Changyu talked about the familiar smell of the public telephone was a good use of sensory detail. Also, I liked that his 2nd and 3rd paragraph were abundant in observation about the people that he saw.

    4. The mood can be described as somewhere unfamiliar, distant from home. However it changes throughout the last paragraph.

    5. He chose this because it was a very new experience for him, something he wouldn't be able to forget.

    6. I think you could maybe read the essay out loud and make sure to add all the necessary articles ( a, an, the) and correct the subject-verb agreement ( was, were )
    GOODLUCK!!

    Kim Young Woo 201203937

    ReplyDelete