Sunday, November 13, 2016

Gitae Shin/Essay Assignment_Fianl Draft (p. 111~112)/Narrative Composition Tuesday & 09:00~11:00

The Unexpected Present in My Life

"Is this all real? This place is unbelievably big and fantastic!"
I woke up early in the morning on Christmas Eve with full of excitement because of the present I got from my host family the day before.
"Gitae, we prepared a Christmas present for you. Open it." Lori, my host family mom, said.
It was a ticket and it said Disney World in Orland. It was in the morning on 25th of December in 2015 that I arrived in Disney World in Orlando for the Christmas holidays with my host family, the Benson's.

Paul, grandfather, drove a motor home to the destination for 2 day and 1 night. Finally we arrived in Orland and a big front gate saying Walt Disney World welcomed us with its two big legs in each side. Disney World was so big that from the gate we had to drive for quite a long time to reach the camping site in which we were supposed to stay for 2 days.

I opened out the folding map and checked how this place looked like. It consists of 4 theme parks: the Magic Kingdom, the Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Disney's Hollywood Studios. As we were supposed to stay for 2 days, we were only able to look around the Magic Kingdom where huge portion of rides out of total 46 are.

As there was an unimaginably big lake that was like ocean between my camping site and the Magic Kingdom, we had to take a big ferry to get there. On the deck, I could feel the wind touching my hair with its hands and smell a full of joy and excitement of a new adventure ahead of me.

As soon as we arrived at the dock, the so-called Cinderella Castle was immediately visible and took my breath away. That was the castle I had watched in Disney's animation films where all those Disney's characters and dreams of children dwell. I was able to hear people making "Ahhhhhhh!" and the idea hit my mind that the cries of joy and sounds of machines whirring never seemed to stop at this place. Soon after I was among those people on rides who were shouting with joy and happiness as well as my host family members. It took literally almost one day for us to ride all the rides and to visit tourist attractions in the Magic Kingdom.

At night, I saw the most beautiful and magnificent fireworks in the world right in front of my eyes. Depending on combinations of colors, time intervals, sizes and so on, hundreds and thousands of fireworks exploded, shined, and made spectacular views up in the sky. Some of them looked like trees, animals, and stars. Others were like dreams, passion, and pureness inside our hearts. Thousands of people in the place were watching the same thing with sharing kind and gentle eye contacts, from time to time, with beloved ones standing next to them. Some gave a genuine kiss to their partners and others hold their hands.

Those beautiful explosions made me say, to my host family, "Thank you guys for giving me once-in-a-life-time chance to see a real stunning view and the unforgettable memory of the Christmas."
This is still one of the most cherishable and happiest moments I have ever had.

1 comment:

  1. 1. What I liked best about his essay was that he wrote about one of the most magical experiences he had in his life. I've been to Disneyland many times so I could clearly picture the place in my mind by reading his descriptions, although the one he went to was in Orlando and not California. I could really feel his excitement in the essay.
    2. Yes, he uses a lot of sensory details regarding sight and hearing. He provides a vivid description about the "Cinderella Castle" and the fireworks. These descriptions got me right to the spot.
    3. I really liked his vivid description of the fireworks, and how he said that they were like "dreams, passion, and pureness." His use of the simile really was effective.
    4. The mood is very bright as the writer is very excited throughout the whole experience. It is portrayed really well with his use of similes and sensory details.
    5. I think this person wrote about the place because it was a very special experience that was unforgettable. He also mentions that it was "one of the most cherishable and happiest moments [he] ever had." I could see that he really liked his experience in Disneyland.
    6. It'd be better if he wrote about the smell of the place. Every place has a particular smell, and people tend to remember a place by its smell. Maybe he can add details on the smell of the air or the smell of food or the smell of fireworks.
    -Alyssa Yoo-
    3.

    ReplyDelete