Sunday, November 27, 2016

Moses Choi/ Eighth Post/ Tues 9-11 a.m.

Getting a Job in Korea as a "Woman"

 

It is well known that getting a job in Korea after graduating university is becoming more and more difficult, and it is now causing considerable distress to many university students. Erica, one of my closest friends in Hankuk University, is no exception. She is a 25-year-old student who is in her 9th semester. At first, I even felt reluctant to bring up the subject to her, because I know she has been under tremendous stress in getting a job herself. However, she was kind enough to answer my questions sincerely.

             I asked her to be my interviewee, and went to a café near the university together. I started the interview by asking her about her biggest concern these days. She said, "To graduate university at the right time, and more importantly, to get a job at the right time." She chuckled, as if she were implying "if I could." As someone who knows how hard she studied and lived as a university student, watching her struggling to enter a company made me realize again how hard it is to get a job.

             Then I asked her which kind of companies she was trying to enter. She said she prefers public firms over private firms. To be specific, she wanted to enter a firm where she could work as a researcher or an administrative staff. That led me to ask, "When you considering for a job, what are your priorities?" She answered, "Mainly the stability, that is the reason why I prefer public firms. I don't want to work in a too competitive atmosphere. I don't want to feel like I'm just a replaceable component." and the next part surprised me.

             "Also, as a woman, I want to continue my career after the marriage and childbirth. I want to keep working after the maternity leave." Naturally, I went on by asking the part in detail. As a woman, she was considering something I did not even think about. "While both a man and a woman get married and give birth to a child, there is a part a woman must bear, like being pregnant." She was worrying that under a competitive atmosphere of private firms in Korea, it may be difficult to continue working after a lengthy break due to a delivery.

             That was not the only disadvantage she felt as a female job seeker. When I asked her if she has any difficulties in applying for the companies, she replied with hesitation. "Well, I think it heavily depends on which firm I'm applying for." She listed some of the companies which are known to be highly men-oriented, even notorious for their army-like atmosphere. "As a woman, I'm not confident if I can blend in and adapt that society. Or, even before I can worry about those things, it may be extremely difficult to enter those firms where there are much more men than women." Upon listening to her, I even felt some kind of guilt, because I would not be worrying about all those things only because I am a man.

             To wrap up the interview, I asked her if there is anything more to say. She said, with a big smile, "Well, though it is definitely hard, everyone around me seems to enter a company somehow. I'm sure I will too, if I try hard." Her positive and diligent attitude was really touching. At the same time, I came to hope that our society to become more equal so Erica, as well as the others, can be rewarded for her hard work, regardless of gender.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Your essay has very specific topic and you are aware of what's going on around the topic. Also, you maintain your topic throughout the essay. I think it is a very strong point. :)

    2. Everything was clear.

    3. I think your main thesis is in last two sentences. "At the same time, I came to hope that our society to become more equal so Erica, as well as the others, can be rewarded for her hard work, regardless of gender."

    4. "Also, as a woman, I want to continue my career after the marriage and childbirth. I want to keep working after the maternity leave." I think it sounds more powerful as it was a direct quotation.

    5. I think there's no problem in terms of the number of quotations. But I see too many "as a woman" repeated.

    6. I think you can strengthen 5th paragraph more by organizing it. You write about difficulties of working in men-oriented companies, and suddenly add the difficulty to get in those companies. I think you can change the order or organize it little more.

    201003163 Yousun Jung

    ReplyDelete