Monday, November 28, 2016

HyeonJu Oh/Ch.5 first draft/Tues 9-11 am

My little soldier

Hyeonju Oh          

 

"Sister, of course you already knew. My bed is not for your comic books. And about mandarins' peels, takes them back to your room later." When I kicked the door and rushed into his bed with mandarins like a usual, he said without any attention. The Korean SAT finished in last week, but his eyes were still stick on his desk. His old glasses were shining under the desk light. He kept reading a book. "Little you, I heard the news from mommy and don't even think that you can deceive me. The Military Academy c-h-o-s-e you!" I yelled for drawing his attention. His chair turned slowly. He looked at me with deep breath. I threw one mandarin to him with giggling.

Everything in his room was a symphony in brown and black. There were black cushions and black blankets were on the redwood bed and a small black dumbbell was standing under it. The wall was white. There wasn't any spot on it. The windows were up high and they were covered with curtains all day. But I knew that sometimes they flapped in cold winds in early morning and he enjoyed that kind of scene. All the gadgets on his desk were old. But nothing was covered with dust so I easily guess how he cares about his room. In overall his room was clean and well-organized.

"Actually I never thought that you wanted to be a soldier. Well I know that it is a really honorable job, but I felt that you always refuse to belong to somewhere. Is there any special opportunity to make you decide like that?" I asked him. Then he stretched his arm into the air shortly and touched backside of his neck slowly. "Well, when I firstly dreamed of it was 6 years ago. I was 13 years old and at that time, the North Korea attacked the Yeonpyeong Island. Although I was young, I could feel the negative tension between two groups. And I realized that the peace maintained by a lot of soldiers who died for this nation." He lightly grabbed the mandarin and I saw his big hands with vivid tendons.

"It is much earlier than I thought. But you know, you once said that you wanted to quit the high school. So I believed that you don't like to obey in a strict system. Are you sure that you can be well accepted in the army?" I asked. When he mentioned about his will for quitting the school, the conflict between parents and my brother was little aggressive. But now he answered silently recalling the past. "When I was in a high school, I was impatient. I couldn't endure studying subjects which had no relations with my goal. But now I thanks for all… all the subjects were helpful for the entrance exam."

After he answered, he stood up and collected the peels of mandarins. Because I ate most of them I felt guilty and so I followed him to the trash can. He wasn't quite tall but his body shaped like an athlete. I recalled days that my mother scolded him because he ran about 2 hours for a day in midnight. She might think that it is dangerous, but anyway he got muscles. "I remembered the times that you were young… now you are taller than I, stronger than I, and even cooler than I. After you go to dormitory, how can I live without you? I'll miss you!" I pretend to cry. But he suddenly ran fast and with closing the door, said. "I won't!" His room was locked and I had to go back to my room. Behind me, mother yelled "Don't bother your younger brother!" and the interview was ended like that.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I like that your essay doesn't feel like typical interview form. As you are close with your brother, you just start daily conversation and it leads readers to comfortable reading.

    2. You constantly mention mandarin orange, but I don't get the meaning beneath it. If it is a symbol, I think you need to reveal it more.

    3. I think it's unclear whether your thesis is "I didn't know that my brother would go to army, as he didn't like strict system." or "I will miss my brother." Both seem good thesis, but I think it should be more emphasized.

    4. "Actually I never thought that you wanted to be a soldier. Well I know that it is a really honorable job, but I felt that you always refuse to belong to somewhere. Is there any special opportunity to make you decide like that?" It changes the mood and directly start to interview.

    5. I think the number of quotations are good, but some of them are quite repeated therefore can be reduced or replaced by other quotations.

    6. I think we need some more explanation. What I get from this essay is only your brother is going to army soon, and you never knew he would because of his past choice and preferences. If you add some more story, it would be more readable.

    201003163 Yousun Jung

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I really like the fact, rather than a formal interview, it was more like a story. It was an episode of you having a heart to heart conversation with your brother and because you chose to use this form of writing, it seemed much more realistic.

    2. I understood the fact that he is trying to go to military academy after he graduates highschool. However you mentioned that he took the Korean SAT, and later you quoted that all the studies have helped him with his entrance exam. Maybe you can just be a little clear on whether if there is a connection or maybe say something more about the entrance exam.

    3. I wasn't sure which was your thesis, but I understand that you are writing about your younger brother, who was always a baby to you, is growing up and it generates some kind of emotion when you think about it.

    4. "I remembered the times that you were young… now you are taller than I, stronger than I, and even cooler than I. After you go to dormitory, how can I live without you? I'll miss you!" This quote allowed me to see how you felt about your brother.

    5. I think you used just about the write number of quotations. You provide explanations for your quote and I didn't see a problem with quantity with your writing.

    6. Personally for me, I am assuming I understand what you guys were talking about, but some of the quotations were sort of unclear. I think it was because you interviewed your brother in Korean and tried to translate it yourself. I could see that you really tried to make it as closest to the actual meaning. But, maybe if you were able to be a little bit more clear on what the conversation is going to be about in the beginning, it would definitely be a little bit clearer.

    -Kim Young Woo 201203937

    ReplyDelete